Tuesday, February 8, 2011

SDAIE Round One!

February 8th, 2011
Blogger: Heather


We are all gathered in the library for the first of three SDAIE methods presentations by Ms. Schooler.  Noriko briefly showed her blog and asked if anyone wanted to be the blogger, but no one volunteered (except me) so here I am doing it again.  We are suddenly quiet since we are to answer a half sheet questionnaire. Meghan keeps reminding us that this is district mandated training.  People are kind of noisy, especially since they have been given candy to open.

Meghan is reviewing norms for collaboration and now the meeting standards.  Our goal is to understand SDAIE at the school and in the district. Apparently our goal is to be consistent with each other and within the district in how we implement SDAIE and to better communicate that.  Today we will look at achievement data and develop a common definition and language for SDAIE here at the school, no matter what it was called when you first learned about it. Meghan is telling us that she is paid for out of federal money and not out of our budget to try to explain what she does.  For AYP all subgroups must meet certain criteria. For EL students most of the criteria are about doing well on the CELDT, but of course one of the criteria is being proficient on the CST and that is where we fall down.  Charts make my eyes hurt. Thankfully, Meghan is passing one out on paper which makes it better, but not good.

We are a loud bunch. Even as we make progress and improve our students' performances on the tests, the government keeps raising the bar for what counts as "proficient". According to the chart, ELs do worse than everyone except special education.  The chart showing the goal going up every year is depressing and we need to address the fairness and reasonableness of the goal, but at a later time.  In math, EL students do reasonably well, scoring only slightly lower than other students. Now we are supposed to use "accountable talk" to talk to our peers about the charts I guess. Now we have to listen the the four tenets. There are a lot of bullet points and buzz words in this powerpoint, but as yet no opportunities for me to improve my teaching.  Anyone who teaches EL students, even in PE, you should be using SDAIE methods.

Now we have to do a "quick write" as a self-reflection on whatever you know about the definition of SDAIE. Now we have to do a KWL chart on something, but there is much discussion about what to do it about and we have settled on spelunking.  SDAIE is not just good teaching, as good teaching may still leave EL students behind.  Now we are going to do a "jigsaw activity" to read an article on SDAIE.  Read and share, my favorite.  We are discussing the four critical elements of SDAIE (lots of things here come in fours). I know that we are mandated to hear this, but I have heard it all before and I don't feel like I am stretching myself like I would like to at PD.  Just to be clear, I blame this on the district not Meghan. I dislike PowerPoint slides where you can't actually see what is written. And now we get to watch a teacher engaging her students.  The video was probably a good example of SDAIE methods, but the woman was so squeaky and patronizing.  I was sure she was teaching kindergarten, but when I saw her students, I felt bad for them. There must be a way to teach EL students without sounding like that. I guess we have reached the end of the PD as we are reviewing our goals and modeling a way to end class with a think-pair-share activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment